J-1 Visa

Here you can find some basic information about the J-1 visa and the application process.

  • What exactly is the J-1 Visa?

    The J-1 visa is an exchange visitor visa for educational and cultural exchange programs such as the Au Pair program. It is important to know that all visitors are expected to return to their home country once the program is completed.

  • Who can get a J-1 Visa?

    The J-1 visa was designed for purposes like the Au Pair program, internships, students. Beside these, there are many others as well. You need to remember that people who want to apply for this visa need to meet certain requirements in order to obtain the visa. You will find the requirements here.

  • Where do you apply for a J-1 Visa?

    Once you obtain a Form DS-2019 from a sponsor you may apply for an exchange visitor J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy (http://www.usembassy.gov/) placed in your home country.

  • What documents are needed to apply for an Exchange Visitor J-1 Visa?

    • Form DS-2019 (Certificate Eligibility) issued by your program sponsor
    • Other supporting documents – check the specific embassy website
    • Passport valid for travel to the U.S.
    • Complete Online Form DS-160, nonimmigrant visa application (online) https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/default.aspx
    • Fee receipt showing payment of $140 visa application fee
    • 2×2 photograph, meeting format requirements
  • What is the Form DS-2019?

    A SEVIS-generated (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Form DS-2019 is required when applying for the J-1 Visa.  The DS-2019 is a controlled form provided to you by your program sponsor. It documents your acceptance to an exchange program sponsored by a State Department designated Exchange Visitor Program sponsor.

  • Is it possible to extend the J-1 Visa?

    Yes, it is possible to extend the program for 6, 9 or 12 months.